Patna, Aug 18: RJD supremo Lalu Prasad has called for a Mahagathbandhan march to Lok Bhavan on August 19 to protest the alleged use of an AK-47 during a student demonstration in Bihar’s Siwan district, accusing the state government of adopting a “dictatorial attitude” towards democratic protests.
Lalu said Mahagathbandhan leaders and workers would participate in the march and submit a memorandum to the Governor seeking action over the incident.
“All students and young people are distressed by paper leaks, the deteriorating education system, a biased recruitment process and unemployment,” Lalu said in a post on X.
He alleged that instead of addressing students’ grievances, the state government was responding with force.
“Instead of listening to their democratic demands, the arrogant government… responds by firing bullets from AK-47s. This is unjust,” he said.
Lalu appealed to students and young people to assemble in Patna on August 19, calling for opposition to what he described as the government’s “dictatorship and dictatorial attitude”.
The controversy relates to a July 25 student protest in Siwan, during which a video purportedly showing a police constable using an AK-47 surfaced on social media. The constable was subsequently suspended.
Police officials have maintained that no one was injured in the incident and said an inquiry had been initiated. They also stated that there were clear instructions to the police force not to open fire during the demonstration.
RJD national working president Tejashwi Yadav has demanded action beyond the suspension of the constable, questioning the accountability of senior police officials.
“Suspending a constable would not suffice,” Tejashwi said, demanding action against the “senior official who ordered the use of the weapon against protesting students”.
The Siwan incident occurred against the backdrop of wider student protests in Bihar over the NEET paper leak and alleged police action against demonstrators. Left-wing student organisations had staged protests in several districts in support of a Bihar Bandh on July 25.
The bandh witnessed violent incidents in Patna, Saran, Siwan, Aurangabad, Bhagalpur, Sitamarhi, Purnia and Bhojpur, while comparatively milder protests were reported in Samastipur, Nawada, Nalanda, Madhubani and Sheikhpura.
In Patna, protesters allegedly pelted police personnel with stones and bricks at Dak Bungalow crossing, following which several students were detained.
The proposed Mahagathbandhan march is likely to intensify the political confrontation over the Siwan incident, with the opposition seeking accountability from senior police and government officials while authorities maintain that an inquiry into the episode is underway.