Home India Jharkhand govt, protesting students to hold 7th round of talks today

Jharkhand govt, protesting students to hold 7th round of talks today

by Vishal Kumar
0 comment

Ranchi, Aug 17: The Jharkhand government and representatives of protesting job aspirants are scheduled to hold another round of discussions on Monday over allegations of irregularities in recruitment examinations, as the students’ agitation entered its 24th day.The meeting is expected to be held at the State Guest House in Ranchi at 2 pm.

The latest discussion will be the seventh round of talks between the government and the protesting students.The students have been demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into alleged irregularities in competitive recruitment examinations and cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination.

The agitation has also seen a hunger strike, which entered its 15th day on Monday. Student representatives have maintained that they are willing to engage in dialogue but would not withdraw their key demands without a satisfactory resolution.Six rounds of discussions have previously been held between the two sides, with the latest meeting taking place on August 9.

However, the talks have so far failed to produce a settlement.The fresh meeting was proposed following discussions between student representatives and district officials, including the Sub-Divisional Officer and the Additional District Magistrate in charge of law and order, at the protest venue at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium.Student leader Ravindra Paswan said the protesters had agreed to attend the latest meeting and would seek a solution through dialogue.

He said the delegation would continue to press for the CBI investigation and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.

Another student leader, Devendra Nath Mahto, said the prolonged hunger strike had reached a critical stage and expressed hope that the government would take steps to bring about long-term reforms in the recruitment and education system.The protesters have also warned of intensifying their agitation if their demands are not addressed.

They have announced plans to gherao Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s residence on August 20 if the talks fail to yield a solution.The government’s fresh engagement with the protesters comes amid a wider investigation into alleged irregularities in Jharkhand’s recruitment examinations, with the state CID also taking action in the case.

You may also like

About Us

Bodhi Wire is a global news agency committed to delivering accurate, independent and fact-checked reporting on events that shape our world. Run by the Vanman Foundation — a nonprofit serving people, society and the planet — Bodhi Wire upholds journalism as a force for truth and public good.

Contact Us

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

Latest News

@2023 – Bodhi Wire All Right Reserved.