Jamshedpur, Aug 27: With President Donald Trump’s deadline for additional duties having expired, the United States has officially begun charging 50 per cent duty on Indian imports. Earlier this month, Trump had announced an additional 25 per cent tariff on top of the 25 per cent already in place, effectively doubling the import duty.
The move is expected to impact Indian exporters across multiple sectors, adding pressure at a time when global trade faces uncertainty. Reacting to the development, Tata Steel Managing Director T.V. Narendran on Wednesday said the new tariff measures will not significantly affect the steel sector, though the textile industry could face the heat. He added that the central government is taking concrete steps to safeguard industries and stabilize the market.

Speaking to the media on the occasion of the birth anniversary of legendary industrialist Sir Dorabji Tata, Narendran acknowledged global challenges but expressed confidence in India’s strong economy. “The 119-year journey of Tata Steel is actually the story of India’s development. Wherever Tata plants are established, development follows,” he said.
Recalling Dorabji Tata’s contribution, Narendran noted: “He wrote a golden chapter in Indian industrial history. Because of his determination and sacrifice, Tata Steel has been continuously producing steel for 118 years and remains the country’s oldest leading steel company.”
On this occasion, Narendran, along with his wife Ruchi Narendran, former MD T.R. Mukherjee, Daisy Irani, Jusco MD Rituraj Sinha, and several senior officials, paid heartfelt tributes at Dorabji Tata Park to the pioneer who transformed Jamshedji Nusserwanji Tata’s dream of a steel plant into reality.