Home IndiaAssam Assam floods cause ₹480 crore damage, 26,681 houses affected: Himanta

Assam floods cause ₹480 crore damage, 26,681 houses affected: Himanta

by Rakhi Kumari Kashyap
0 comment

Guwahati, Aug 18: Floods that hit Assam last month caused estimated damage of around ₹480 crore and affected 26,681 houses, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Monday, as the state government stepped up relief, damage assessment and rehabilitation efforts.

Sarma said 96,842 flood-affected families had so far received financial assistance of ₹15,000 each, with the government spending ₹146.26 crore on the aid. Another 3,000-4,000 families may also receive the assistance, he said.

Rapid damage assessment is currently underway in Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat and Golaghat districts. Around 75 per cent of the assessment has been completed, with more than 1,000 surveyors deployed on the ground.

“The second phase of the assessment survey will be finished on September 10 or 11,” Sarma said.

He added that a third phase of assessment would be conducted if affected people raised complaints regarding the findings.

“If there are any complaints, then our people will be ready to conduct the third phase of damage assessment,” the chief minister said.

The government has set a target of releasing flood-damage compensation to affected families before Durga Puja.

“Our target is to release the flood damage amount to the flood-affected families before Durga Puja,” Sarma said.

The Assam government has announced an estimated ₹1,000 crore package for relief, assistance and rehabilitation following the abnormal floods that have affected parts of Upper Assam since July 19.

Sarma said the government, after consultations with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, would expedite construction of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) houses for eligible beneficiaries in Charaideo and Sivasagar.

“Nearly Rs 150 crore disbursed as interim relief. Remaining claims will be cleared by tomorrow,” Sarma said in a post on X.

As part of the restoration drive, 793 schools are being repaired and are expected to be ready for the resumption of classes. Roads and other public infrastructure are also being rebuilt on priority.

In Sivasagar, high-capacity pumps are operating round the clock to drain water from low-lying areas. Medical camps are being expanded and authorities are monitoring the possibility of disease outbreaks.

The government has also reviewed loan relief, insurance claims, restoration of schools and Anganwadi centres, and medical and veterinary camps. Eligible beneficiaries have been urged to file insurance claims by August 30.

“We are mapping compensation and benefits to reach every household. My instructions to officials are clear: no one gets left behind, speed is non-negotiable, and there is zero tolerance for a lackadaisical approach,” Sarma said.

The state government’s focus now is on completing the damage assessment, clearing compensation claims and accelerating rehabilitation and restoration work in the flood-hit districts.

You may also like

About Us

Bodhi Wire is a global news agency committed to delivering accurate, independent and fact-checked reporting on events that shape our world. Run by the Vanman Foundation — a nonprofit serving people, society and the planet — Bodhi Wire upholds journalism as a force for truth and public good.

Contact Us

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

Latest News

@2023 – Bodhi Wire All Right Reserved.