Home India JSSC-CGL cancellation sparks fresh protest by 2,000 successful candidates, CBI probe demand grows

JSSC-CGL cancellation sparks fresh protest by 2,000 successful candidates, CBI probe demand grows

by Princy Pandey
0 comment

RANCHI, Aug 18: The Jharkhand government’s decision to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination has triggered a fresh protest by around 2,000 candidates who had cleared the examination and were subsequently appointed to government posts.

The successful candidates staged a demonstration outside the Project Building, expressing concern that the cancellation could jeopardise their jobs. They said they were not opposed to an investigation into alleged irregularities in the examination but demanded an opportunity to defend themselves before any action was taken against them.

The protesting employees also joined the demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged irregularities.

Higher and Technical Education Minister Sudivya Kumar said the successful candidates could seek legal recourse against the government’s decision. JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged the candidates’ concerns and said the party was sympathetic to their situation.

The latest protest comes amid a 24-day agitation by students alleging irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted in the state. The protesters are demanding a CBI investigation and reforms in the examination system.

JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said the agitation would continue until the demand for a CBI probe was addressed. The protesting students were also expected to decide on Tuesday whether to withdraw their demonstration, though they sought clarity on some of their demands before taking a final decision.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination late on Monday, saying that a committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would be constituted to recommend reforms in the conduct of examinations in the state.

Student leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on a hunger strike for 16 days over the alleged irregularities, ended his fast around midnight on Monday following the government’s decision, while five other protesters continued their hunger strike, according to the protesters.

The developments have now put the government under pressure from both sides — students demanding action over alleged examination irregularities and successful candidates seeking protection of their appointments and a fair opportunity to establish that they were not involved in any wrongdoing.

You may also like

About Us

Bodhi Wire is a global news agency committed to delivering accurate, independent and fact-checked reporting on events that shape our world. Run by the Vanman Foundation — a nonprofit serving people, society and the planet — Bodhi Wire upholds journalism as a force for truth and public good.

Contact Us

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

Latest News

@2023 – Bodhi Wire All Right Reserved.